This brand-new kind of transportation accommodates two passengers seated next to or behind one another. The two seats are set according to the expertise of the riders. The one who sits in the front seat must be a proficient rider; he should have a thorough knowledge of paddling, applying brakes
, having a solid grip on the handle, and many more. Due to this, the front rider may have called as captain.
Yet, in contrast to the myth, the rider behind the captain should also know how to ride a tandem bike; for example, he should have sufficient knowledge of paddling, which is the prime goal while riding such bikes. Additionally, signaling and balancing are also important for the second rider. The second rider is known as the “stoker.” The two riders assist each other while riding on a track.
How many kinds of tandem bikes are available?
Tandem bikes feature two seats and are typically seen on highways and hiking routes. However, in addition to it, tri or tetra seater bikes are also available on the market, though they are less common.
There are four kinds of tandem bikes in use nowadays.
- Two adults can ride the Twinny tandem bicycle by sitting behind each other.
- A youngster and a companion ride a tandem bicycle called a Kivo, sitting one behind the other.
- The Twinny Plus and the Kivo Plus are three-wheel tandem versions of the Twinny and the Kivo that have two rear wheels.
- The Fun2Go tricycle tandem is a side-by-side model with seating for two people.
What is the purpose of the tandem bike?
The prime objective of such bikes is to let friends ride together. The bike is heavier than other motorcycles since it has an extra set of paddles and a seat for a stoker.
Due to their sturdiness, these are more likely to equip for an adventurous ride on hills and mountains. Operating these bicycles is slightly different from working ordinary bikes, as they require more supervision while riding.
How do you ride together on a tandem bike?
Assisting each other while riding is a prime chore both must do while riding a tandem bike. Yet, there are specific steps one must follow while riding.
- First, the captain gets on the bike. It is more complex than it seems. The captain must be cautious since the bike is heavy and challenging to control.
- Now, more ok are allowed to get on tandem bikes simply as they used to get on regular bikes. Stoker should wait to start the paddling before the captain, as it can make both falls on the track. So don’t be negligent in this regard.
- Start your adventurous journey with the command of the captain, as he is the boss in this ride. The captain should give the sign or command “ON” or “Start” so both can start paddling simultaneously.
- So here you go, riding on hills and mountains, but how can you stop the tandem bike if you face any hurdle while riding
- The captain must command “Off” or “Stop.” As a result, the stoker will halt or lessen his paddling. Captain should be careful and attentive while riding this bike as he is the one who is seeing the road directly. So in case of any pit or bump, the rider must command “Bump” or “Jump” so that the stoker can be alert about it and strengthen his grip on the handle. Also, the captain and stoker sometimes have to slow down the speed. So this command also aids in knowing whether it is time to slow down your speed or boost it up.
Along with these techniques, we advise the riders to train on a tandem bike, so they have less danger of falling or hurting themselves while riding on a steep course.
What is the world’s longest tandem bike?
In 2015, an Australian company named Santos made a 135-foot-long tandem bike that could accommodate 20 riders. It is the world’s giant tandem bike and has broken all the previous records.
What is the side-by-side tandem?
Usually, couples have a side-by-side tandem bike, which seems more romantic and cuter. On this bike, riders sit parallel to each other. One person controls the handle and brakes while the other starts paddling. Fun2Go is the most popular side-by-side tandem bike with three wheels. Read More about Best Hybrid Bikes.
Pros and Cons of Tandem Bike